Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I'm having a problem with my cars's A/C. Can any Mechanics offer advice?

I have a 03 cavaleir. I noticed that when i stay under 20 mph or come to a stop, my ac starts blowing hot air. When I start to drive above 20 mph the ac is cold as can be. What could be causing this?I'm having a problem with my cars's A/C. Can any Mechanics offer advice?
its getting real low on freon when it does this,you need to have it re-charged,when it starts doing this its not far from not working,a good re-charge will take care of it ,good luck on it.I'm having a problem with my cars's A/C. Can any Mechanics offer advice?
thanks.

Report Abuse



Two reasons. At slow speed, theres not enough air-flow to cool the condenser. second, belts might be loose





Follow these simple steps;





1) start the car and turn on the ac


2)pop your hood and stare at the cooling fans(they should be spinning) hint: do this on a cold engine to avoid interference with the cooling system. If they are not spinning then a fuse is blown.


3)Turn the engine off and find the compressor


4) feel the belt for looseness
Could be as simple as a slipping A/C belt, or as complicated as an A/C leak..... have an A/C tune up/inspection done.


If they add refridgerant for some reason, make sure they add A/C dye..... that way they can trace small leaks.
As your car increases in speed, the RPM's increase also. The serpentine belt that drives the alternator, water pump, timing, and A/C compressor is affected. It seems to me the belt is loose and slipping at a low idle. Replace the belt and adjust the tension pulley. This should resolve the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment