Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am worried about the new school year because of my sons health problem, any advice?

My son get a migraine at least once a week. This summer has been pretty difficult for us (he was diagnosed early in the summer). No matter what medicine he is taking he will get a migraine at least once a week like i said, and it usually takes him out the whole day.





I am worried for the school year to start because i don't want him to miss school and me and my husband both work so it is difficult for us to leave and pick him as well. I also know it would be very tough for him to sit in class with a migraine.





Has anyone else ever been through this? Or any advice on how to deal with it?





He would be missing so much school the way it is going now, or would he be able to get through the day in school?





Thanks for your help in advance! I am very confused.I am worried about the new school year because of my sons health problem, any advice?
does he get medication to treat his migraines. i get sever migraines too i got prescribed imitrex .i also take Excedrin migraine that's the only over the counter stuff that helps me and its only one dose for the whole day which is great. what he can do is get sent to school with a bottle of Excedrin migraine or medication if prescribed by Dr and attach a note saying my son suffers from migraines so please allow my son to take (whatever the dose may be for him) the medicine whenever he has an attack. please allow 30-45 minutes for the pain med to work . they will allow him to lay in a dark room for the amount of time needed. you can even ask the Dr to write you the note and have him give to the nurse on the first day of school. Excedrin migraine is great because one dose works all day and if you know when he will get an attack have him take it before he heads out the door. hope this helps. i suffer from migraines too and know just how bad they get. my daughter is 10 and suffers from allergies so every year i have to send her with a bottle of benadryle and a note to the nurse with instructions at the end of the year they will give her back the bottle with any left over medication. so be assured you can send your son to school with whatever meds he may need and give it to the nurse directly and hell be able to go get some anytime he needs it.I am worried about the new school year because of my sons health problem, any advice?
I have a friend at school who has migraines a lot as well. She would be there every other day.





If he gets a very painful migraine everyday, maybe you can get some work at school and he can do it at home. Maybe the school can let him work in a quiet work so lots of noise doesn't cause his migraines to increase in higher discomfort.





I can just imagine having migraines everyday to be very painful and hard to concentrate. I hope things work out for you!





Take care!
Can you discuss this issue with the principal, the teacher and the school nurse? Perhaps they can come up with an action plan so that your son won't miss too many class days. Definitely make them aware of the seriousness and frequency of your son's migraines. They may have experience with another child with migraines in the past and know what to do when one strikes your son.
You need to contact the school right away. Because of the severity of your sons medical problem, they will probably want to get him an IEP (this is Special Ed, but don't freak, all it means is that they work around whatever the issue is - in this caise migraines) or a 504 action plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment