Sunday, August 22, 2010

Any advice about my problem in the workplace, please!?

I just started my new career as an Admin. two months ago. I really love the job itself and the work I do. And what is really great is that they have 100% free health insurance and life insurance, super good pay and tons of other bonuses. Here is the problem:





I just turned 20 and I am the youngest person at my job. Everyone else is in their 30's and 40's, the closest to my age is 28. They all have kids, are married, have their own homes, etc. I have nothing in common with them and can never hold a conversation with anyone. I do not have kids to talk about, I am not married, I can't compare how much it cost me to remodel my home, etc. I had my company picnic last weekend and felt incredibly left out, I wasn't able to talk to anyone for longer than like 10 minutes. All the office girls always go out for drinks and dinner once a week and I can't go because I am under 21 and will be for the next year...although I wouldn't have anything to talk about with them anyhow. I really don't know what to do. Work is really boring and very awkward not being able to talk to anyone or really get along much with anyone. Any advice on what to do please!? I can't just go and look for another job, I just got this one and really need the experience for other places to even consider me. This really sucks..


Any advice about my problem in the workplace, please!?
Firstly, let me say I know exactly what you are going through as I am in a very similar situation and I am 23.





The only advice I can give you is just be yourself and remember at the end of the day you are there to do your job not make friends.





Don't get me wrong, great if there are people you could have loads in common with but as you don't then I would not worry about it too much.





Get your experience and then find a job where hopefully u can work with people with more things in common with you.





Apart from that there is not a lot u can do - just keep the conversations work related (at least that way u will have more to say).





And again don't worry too much about it - I am afraid it is just one of those things.





Best of luck





Any advice about my problem in the workplace, please!?
you have much in common you just need to seek it out.


listen, ask questions and why not go out with the girls?


you don't have to drink alcohol to have fun and relax.


conversations don't have to last more then 10 minutes but as you find common interest the conversations will lengthen.
come to England. You can drink at eighteen.
it will go away been there your there to make money not friends
Do you have any hobbies in common? Do any of the older employees have kids your age? Do you or anyone else participate in sporting activities, such as cycling, running, bowling leagues, etc.?





Hang in there, it sounds like a great job (especially for the health insurance!). Give it some time, you might find some things you have in common, such as favorite TV shows, movies, music, etc.
The perks of your job make it seem very good. You seem immature in that you cannot take an interest in what matters to your colleagues. For instance, you might learn something if you listened to someone describing how they had remodelled their home. They would feel flattered by your interest, knowing that you have not reached that stage yourself. Ask questions and seek advice. These things form relationships. Show a keen desire to excel at your work. Make sure that what you have to do is done promptly and reliably. This will gain you their respect. They will come to rely on you.


Smile a lot. Ask the girls how their night out was. Let them tell you how they enjoyed it and how each of them behaved. This can be useful information. Try to find out what the pecking order is in your office. Who are the personalities to cultivate; whom you should avoid antagonising.


Are you so inept and boring that you cannot figure out one topic of conversation with your colleagues, even if it the state of the weather or the central heating? I don't think that you are but you are in danger of feeling sorry for yourself. When you say that work is boring you don't mean the work in which you are involved, you want the office to be like


school. Work is not like that; frankly, you aren't paid to gossip . The only job that would give you what you seem to be wanting is waiting at the counter of a cafe.


I may seem to be taking a strong line with you but it is the line I would take if you were my daughter. You have a great opportunity. Make the most of it.
  • scars
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment