Thursday, August 19, 2010

Need Advice on Mold Problem in Apartment?

I currently live in a one bedroom apartment. I've lived here for one and a half years. The property management company have always been very receptive to my complaints for repairs, which have been minor up until now. Within the past two weeks I noticed a musty smell in my bathroom. I didn't see any mildew or mold so I just brushed it off as humidity in my apartment as it gets very warm during the day when I'm at work and I don't have the air conditioning running. I came home from work one night this week to find two mushroom like plants sprouting from the baseboard of the wall next to my bathroom (my bathroom tube is located on the other side of the wall). The rug in the same area where the mushrooms grew is constantly wet. I noticed this last week, but also brushed it off thinking that it was the spot remover I applied to the area a few times during the month for a stain that would not go away. I finally complained to the property management the everning I found the mushrooms and the person on call for emergency repairs said that it did not constitute a real emergency and would look at it the next day. I came home yesterday from work with a red note from the maintaince crew who cleaned up the issue. This is what he wrote:





';Removed and replaced grout around soap dish area and re-caulked the tub. Please don't use shower/tub until after 8 a.m. Sat. to ensure grout and caulk is dry. Also, you will see a slight film on the tile. This is excess from grout that can easily be removed by a sponge. We pulled back the carpet and removed the mushroom and a little bit of mold. We then bleached the area for 3 hours before rinsing off the floor and sealed in the area with an oil based primer. This will ensure no more mold will grow. Next, our carpet shampooerscame and cleaned, sanitized and deoderized the affected carpet area. You may notice that the carpet is damp by the entrance door, but don't worry, it is the shampoo/cleaner drying off. This should solve all the problems. If the area is damp/wet through the weekend, please give the office a call on Monday, but I'm pretty suret this will take care of everything.';





When I called the property manager on Friday afternoon from work to let her know my displeasure of finding mushrooms growing in my apartment, she became very snotty with me and asked me why I didn't report the smells sooner. And I was very pleasant and professional with her. I'm in the Insurance business and I asked a few our engineers at work who inspect property that we insure of what I should do. They did not give me advice, but they told me that mold is very hard to get rid of.





I just renewed by lease in January for another year. Should I stay or do you think an attorney can help me break the lease so that I can find another place to live?Need Advice on Mold Problem in Apartment?
I know that you are upset, but the way I read it, your apartment complex did everything they could to get rid of the mold. I have a question about why it is so wet in your bathroom. Do you have a window that opens, or a exhaust fan in there? The fan should be run for 30 minutes at least when you take a shower or bath. If no fan, is the window open to dry out the air? I would ask the management company if it is necessary to keep a carpet on the bathroom floor. It would be better to use a bathmat on the floor to stand on while you dry yourself, and pick it up when you are finished.Need Advice on Mold Problem in Apartment?
Your landlord addressed and solved the problem in a timely manner. I don't know what your so upset about?





Should you stay? Well yes, unless you want to pay the termination fees or be sued for breaking your lease.





BTW...there are literally over 1000 types of mold, with only 1 (black mold) that is considered dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment