Sunday, August 22, 2010

Your advice on my problem at work is greatly appreciated.....?

I have a temporary job working in a governmental agency. I am actually employed through a temporary staffing company. There is a man who works near me who will ask me to do copying for him, from time to time. I asked my boss if I had to do it and he said 'Well, yeah.' The problem is two things: I have pain in my knees due to having had surgery within the last five years and I also will have pain in my hips. If I stand a long time copying, I am in extreme pain. I have done the copying because it was just from time to time. Now, this man says he will have tons of copying coming up and I told him that I was busy with my own work. He doesn't seem to like it when I don't seem anxious to do what he wants. Also, a huge amount of copying was not mentioned to me when I accepted the job. My question is should I tell my boss about this and, if so, should I use the argument that I don't feel it is my job or should I tell him about my physical problems. Both are true. Please let me know what you think is best. Thank you.Your advice on my problem at work is greatly appreciated.....?
DJ, I found a list of temporary work resources that can help. http://www.temporaryjobemploymentagencies.com



Good Luck!Your advice on my problem at work is greatly appreciated.....?
I'd mention the medical problems to your manager, and ask if any accommodations can be made. If you have a medical issue, the employer is required to try to reasonably accommodate. In this case, I have a feeling that it will likely be easier to find someone to accommodate than to try to facilitate changes to allow you to be able to make copies.





You should check w/ your doctor to see if you can get a note. That would be even more powerful a message.





Also, does your agency have a copy center? You might suggest that as a viable alternative. Providing a possible solution will be looked upon well by your manager.





BTW, I think that if you go w/ the ';it's not my job'; explanation, it might look like you're not a team player. And you don't want that.





Good luckl!

No comments:

Post a Comment