Monday, August 23, 2010

I have a problem i need help with, i don't know what to do. need advice?

I moved into a new apartment complex (995 dollars a month) about 1 month ago. ever since i moved in, i've been having an issue with the people upstairs making loud noise. i can hear their tv loud, they talk loud, and they storm around alot the floors creak excessively. over time it has driven me absolutely nuts.


I have taken these steps in this exact order:


1) I went up there and i talked to them nicely, and asked if they could please keep it down. they said yes i will keep the tv down (closed door in my face)


2) i went up there a second time days later as problem continued. i suggested the fact maybe your television is close to the wall? vibrations? they got rude and said no i lived here 3 years i never had any problem before you, closed door in my face


3) i talked to my landlord. he talked to them and they had a conversation. problem continued even after this.


4) i talked to landlord multiple times and he mentioned they were moving soon but wont give me a date for legal reasons.I have a problem i need help with, i don't know what to do. need advice?
Your landlords hands are tied if you dont stand up for yourself and call the police. He has addressed the issue with both of you to no avail. Unless he has a couple of police reports (not just one), he has no ammunition to evict them. He told you they were leaving, just not when. Stick it out. If he knows they are leaving then he was given either 30 or 60 day notice, OR he is evicting them and couldnt, for obvious legal reasons, tell you that.


Now also keep in mind, in an apartment, 90% of the time you can hear the upstairs people talking or their radio or tv. It doesnt necessarily have to be loud, just not real good sound proofing. So unless your pictures are bouncing off the walls, I would leave it alone. Let them leave.


Then if you can hear the next tenants tv or radio or even them just talking, then you know the soundproofing is lousy. There is nothing you can do about that except save up and move out. Get a house instead of an apt and you wont have that problem.


I live in the lower of one of my rentals. The upstairs has thick carpeting and padding and I can still hear them talk (in normal tones) and the tv going. Mine is an old duplex built in the 20's. But guess what, they can hear me and my family down here too. So it may very well not be intentional and your continued griping over something that may not be remedied has caused them to have an rude attitude towards you. This is what happens when you live in apts. Lots of give and take.I have a problem i need help with, i don't know what to do. need advice?
Do you have a rental board in your area? If you do, perhaps you ought to file a complaint about your upstairs neighbors' noise.





Could you tape the noise from your apartment?





I feel for you because I have been in the same situation in the past; noise always seems worse when it's over your head, I've found.





Excessive noise is difficult to prove. Check this link below that I found on our Rental Board's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment